Coping with Insomnia
Insomnia is a relatively common sleeping disorder, affecting about one-third of the adult population worldwide. Unfortunately, as we age, quality of sleep can decrease. While different types of insomnia have different causes, most people can find relief through natural remedies for insomnia, regardless of the source of their insomnia:
- Establish a consistent bedtime routine, and try to go to bed at the same time every night. Get plenty of exercise during the day. The more energy you expend during the day, the sleepier you will feel at bedtime.
- Reduce or eliminate your intake of caffeine, stimulants and alcohol. Even when consumed early in the day, these can affect sleep.
- Avoid large meals late in the evening.
- Learn and practice a relaxation technique regularly.
- Breathing exercises, meditation and yoga are good examples, although these are not sure-fire natural cures for insomnia.
- Don’t obsess about not sleeping. Instead, remind yourself that while sleeplessness is troublesome, it isn’t life-threatening.
Trouble Sleeping? Try Mantram
Mantram is the practice of repeating over and over in the mind certain syllables, words or phrases that help unify consciousness and counteract negative mental states. It is especially helpful for people with restless minds, whose turbulent thoughts keep them from relaxing, concentrating and falling asleep. The repetition of a verbal formula is a way of focusing the thinking mind and counteracting the damage done to both mind and body by thoughts that produce anxiety, agitation and unhappiness.
You can practice mantram anywhere, especially as a sleep aid and a natural remedy for insomnia- it is a totally portable technique, requires no training or equipment, and can be used in any circumstance, so long as you don’t practice it while doing something that otherwise requires your undivided attention. Try experimenting with it – choose a word, sound or phrase that is pleasing to you, and repeat it. If your mind wanders, simply focus back on the word. You will be amazed at the results.
Posted on August 11, 2013, in Health and tagged Alternative medicine, Health, Insomnia, insomnia cure, natural remedies, Relaxation technique, Sleep disorder, sleeplessness, trouble sleeping. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.